My Blog List

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New Shoes?



I'm seriously thinking about getting a better pair. I currently run in the New Balance 1063s but I keep thinking in the back of my mind that my feet and knees might thank me more if I had a better pair of shoes. It is not like I am running huge weekly numbers or anything, 20 miles is not that big of a deal, but I just keep pondering that maybe my legs and feet might feel better if I took the plunge and got a new pair. Before I ever really ran more than 2 miles at a time, I went and got fitted and they put me in this pair of Brooks. I don't even know the model because they were from like 2000, but they were seriously the best pair of sneakers I ever owned. I'm thinking about trying the Brooks Glycerin 7. I do know that I need a shoe made for neutral runners, and I have normal arches. I'm avoiding going to a running store because they don't have the same great deals as amazon does!
I'm going to mull it over some more. Any of you out there that use shoes made for neutral runners that might have a suggestion?

7 comments:

  1. I would go and get fitted again at a running store. They can video tape you and see what works best for you. Thanks for the comment about my header.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have access to a treadmill and a video camera (or cell phone with video, or something similar), I highly recommend http://runningwarehouse.com. If you take a video of your feet while running, they'll do a gait analysis over the internet for free. Then you can just confirm that the first running store determined your pronation properly. Their shoe prices are very reasonable (and I could possibly send you a discount code good for 15% off), plus free 2-day UPS shipping.

    Or, you can just get Vibram Five Fingers and forget about all of that neutral, stability, motion control stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip, Jesse. I do have a video camera and treadmill, so that sounds like it will be the way to go to get a proper pronation analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 20 miles a week is nothing to sneeze at :) Being a newbie, I'm excited that I'm getting in 50 miles a month for now! Good luck with the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am a neutral runner and think of trying the Glycerin. The Mizuno Wave Creation has served me very well and I should have learned my lesson about switching shoes by now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been running in some variation of the Asics GT 2140 since high school.

    http://www.asics-running.com/acatalog/GT_2140_W_T954N.html

    Obviously, everyone is different, but I just love these shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really think you should try getting your feet fitted for a shoe. My husband and I did that years ago. He ended up with asics and I ended up with mizuno wave creations. I was wearing new balances and when I tried on the mizunos it was HEAVEN. I have literally been buying the same wave creations for years.

    If you can't find someone to fit your feet (normally little sporting goods stores will do it) just try on every brand of shoe in the stores.

    I've also found that the more expensive the shoe that better they feel. Unfortunatly :(
    The wave creation is the most expensive mizuno but I swear it's the best shoe for me.

    ReplyDelete